ORTHODOXY IN KARELIA. The official site of the Petrozavodsk and Karelia diocese

|  |  |  | "" |
| | |   | E-mail

Russian


Churches

petrxr_e.jpg (7743 bytes)Petrozavodsk and Karelian diocese issues for the first time a guide-book for pilgrims in Petrozavodsk The purpose of the issue is to give short information about the citys sacred places and objects

Before the revolution Petrozavodsk could show 20 churches and more than 10 chapels. 3 magnificent churches stood in Sobornaya square in the center of the city: Petropavlovskiy (of Peter and Paul), built after Peter Is directions and drawings, Voskresenskiy (of Resurrection), erected in 1800 on the money collected by the citizens, and Svyaodukhovskiy (Holy Ghosts) Cathedral, consecrated in 1872.

The two first cathedrals were lost in the fire of 1924. The Svyatodukhovsky (Holy Ghost) temple was blown up by a ruthless hand in 1936. Almost all of the city temples and chapels perished in the years of oppression. Only two small cemetary churches have survived the Krestovozdvizhenskaya (Exaltation of the Cross) and the Yekaterininskaya (St. Catherines). They were in the list of the ten churches working in the republic after the Great Patriotic war (part of WWII, 1941-45), and then, by Gods providence, among the four temples of Karelia, which stayed open after the severe route against Church in Khrushchovs times.

The current spiritual rise in the society is reflected in the process of restoration of the former Petrozavodsk temple culture, of a small part of its churches and chapels.

The ruling bishop of the diocese is archbishop Manuil of Petrozavodsk and Karelia.

THE CITY CHURCH HOLIDAY
July, 12 the day in commemoration of saint foremost apostles Peter and Paul.

St. Alexander Nevsky Cathedral

nsk.jpg (4532 bytes)History. A stone temple in the style of high classicism. It is constructed as a monument of gratitude for the victory in the Patriotic war of 1812. Emperor Alexander I, who visited Petrozavodsk in 1819, considered the original project of the future temple and did not approve it, as too expensive. The temple was erected in 1831under the project of architect Alexander Posnikov at Alexandrovsky factory on donations of the workers and the townspeople.

Archbishop Ignatii (Semyonov) -the first bishop of the Olonets diocese first opened in 1828 consecrated it on January 27, 1832, the day in memory of the great teacher of Church St. John Chrysostom.

The temple was closed and turned into a local lore museum in 1929. In December 1991 it was returned to the Petrozavodsk diocese. The long reconstruction of the cathedral was successfully finished in 1999. On June 29 of the same year eight bells, moulded inVoronezh according to an ancient technology, by the weight of 1,5 through 7 tons, were consecrated and established on the temple belfry. The reconstructed cathedral was decorated with the gilt iconostasis made at the industrial and art enterprise of Russian Orthodox Church "Sofrino".

The restored cathedral was consecrated on June 3, 2000 by Patriarch of Moscow and all Russia Alexis II.

The main holies of the temple are: the Vladimir icon of the Mother of God presented to the cathedral by Patriarch Alexis II; particles of the relics of St. Paraskeva the Friday, and of St. Anthony the Roman; a particle of Aarons rod, handed over to the cathedral by the local lore museum on July 6, 2000; an icon of St. Alexander Nevsky in a richly decorated icon-case, presented by parishioners of the cathedral, employees at the Onega tractor (former Alexandrovsky) factory: a Karelian Saints icon, and an icon of St.Faddei of Petrozavodsk, painted by the Karelian icon painter Iulia Bol'shakova.

To the left from the cathedral there is a memorial dark-green-colored marble slab from a tomb of the elder Faddei the Blessed of Petrozavodsk, taken from the chapel ruined during the Soviet times.

On October 26, 2000, the day of celebrating of the icon of the Mother of God "Iverskaya", with the blessing of Patriarch of Moscow and all Russia Alexis II, the act of canonization of Faddei the Blessed as a locally honored saint was announced in the cathedral, during the Divine liturgy which was headed by archbishop of Petrozavodsk and Karelia Manuil. Participationg in the service were archbishop of Brussels and Belgia Simon, bishop of Arkhangelsk and Kholmogory Tikhon, as well as the Petrozavodsk and Karelian diocese clergy.

The saint, honored in Petrozavodsk for already about 200 years, was one of the first inhabitants of Petrovskaya sloboda (settlement), founded by Peter the Great in 1703, which gave rise to the city. In hard times, when the process of secularazation of the Russian society started, St. Faddei showed an example of a selfless life. Being a wise and clairvoyant elder, he took up the heavy feat of being Gods fool. Emperor Peter the Great met him and noted down that Faddei was counted a miracle in the settlement

The prior is archbishop of Petrozavodsk and Karelia Manuil.

The deputy is archpriest John (Ioann) Terenyak.

Divine services: daily at 9.a.m. Liturgy, confession during the Liturgy, the beginning of the confession at 8. 30. At 18.00 everyday vespers + matins + lauds. On Sundays and great holidays two Liturgies at 7 and 10 a.m., with a vigil at 18.00 on the eve.

On Wednesdays vespers with akathist to Alexander Nevsky, on Fridays akathist to the Mother of God in front of Her icon "the Non-emptying Bowl " with concecrating of water, on Sundays vespeers with akathist to Jesus the Sweetest.

Baptism: on weekdays at 10.30 a.m., on Sundays and holidays at 12 noon.

Mail address: Petrozavodsk, Alexander Nevsky pr.

Tel.: (8142) 553371

Cathedral in the name of Exaltation of the Lords Cross

krsobm.jpg (5134 bytes)A cemetary stone temple.

The History. The church was founded on July 16, 1848 at the place where the old wooden Krestovozdvizhenskaya (Exaltation of the Cross) church had been disassembled in 1847. The new construction was financed by a Petrozavodsk merchant Yefim Grigorievitch Pimenov and other philanthropists.

The church was consecrated on December 29, 1852 by archbishop of Olonets and Petrozavodsk Arcady.

In the Soviet times, part of the property of Svyatodukhovsky (Holy Spirit) cathedral, which was blown up in the 30th, was transferred to the Exaltation of the Cross church. The temple was open until the beginning of the war and again was handed over to believers on October 31, 1944.

It has two thrones one in honour of the Exaltation of the Lords Life-giving Cross and the other, of the Lords Ascention.

The main holies of the temple: honored icons of the Mother of God: "The Quickhearing", of Kazan, and of Tikhvin patronesses of Russian Northwest, an icon of St. Anthony the Roman with a particle of his relics.

The temple is now home for the sacred relics of St. Elisei of Sumy, the Solovets wonder-worker, withdrawn from St Nicholas church in Sumposad in July, 1929. Long time they had been stored in the Karelian state local lore museum funds and were handed over to the cathedral on June 26, 1990.

About 30 meters from the temple there is an ancient eight-final cross. It was erected in 1725, the year of Peter Is death, by the entrance gate of Petrovsky factory.

The prior is archbishop of Petrozavodsk and Karelia Manuil.

The deputy is archpriest Oleg Sklyarov.

Divine services: daily at 9.a.m. Liturgy, confession during the Liturgy, the beginning of the confession at 8. 30. At 18.00 everyday vespers + matins + lauds. On Sundays and great holidays two Liturgies at 7 and 10 a.m., with a vigil at 18.00 on the eve.

On Wednesdays at 18.00 vespers with akathist to St. Nicholas the Wonderworker, or St. Anthony the Roman, or St. Alexander of Svir. On Fridays concecrating of water with akathists to Panteleimon the Great Martyr and Healer, and in front of the icona of the Mother of God "the Non-emptying Bowl, Vsetsaritsa (Pantanassa).

Baptism: on weekdays at 11.00 a.m., on Sundays and holidays at 12 noon.

The mail address: Petrozavodsk, Volkhov Str. 1.

Tel: (8142) 554259

Church in the name of St. Katherine the Great Martyr

ekm.jpg (16314 bytes)History. This small wooden temple was founded during the reign of emperor Alexander II on 22 of May 1877 on Neglinskoye cemetery and constructed to honor the hundred-year anniversary of the renaming of Petrozavodskaya sloboda (settlement) into the town of Petrozavodsk by Empress Katherine II.

Yegor Konstantinovich Sofushkin, a Petrozavodsk merchant, offered a considerable sum of money for the construction. The temple was built according to the plans and under the supervision of the engineer and technologist, courts counsellor Michael Ivanovich Markov, who had also directed the construction of the Petrozavodsk female grammar school, spiritual school, and archbishops house.

The church was consecrated by bishop of Olonets and Petrozavodsk Palladium on January 8, 1878. In 1880 it was boarded and acquired the appearance, as we know it today.

In April 1922, more than 36 pounds of silver which icon lamps, censers, icon frameworks etc.contained were confiscated from the church under an order of the local authorities. Between 1938 and 1945 the church was occupied by a youth sports school. On July 5, 1945 the church of St. Katherine was returned to believers.

Has two thrones in the names of Katherine the Great Martyr and prelate Nicholas the Wonder-worker. The iconostasis of the temple is a copy of the icons from the Vladimir cathedral in Kiev. It was transferred from the ruined stone church in the setlement of Verhruchei.

The main holies of the temple: icons of the Mother of God "All the Grievings Pleasure", "Vladimirskaya", "Tikhvinskaya", "Three-handed"; of St. Katherine; of St.Nicholas the Wonderworker, an icon of Karelian saints.

The icons of the temple emitted myrrh in 1999.

The prior is priest Andrey Vereshchagin.

Divine services: daily at 9.a.m. Liturgy, confession during the Liturgy, the beginning of the confession at 8. 30. At 18.00 everyday vespers + matins + lauds. On Sundays and great holidays two Liturgies at 7 and 10 a.m., with a vigil at 18.00 on the eve.

On Fridays at 18.00 vespers with akathists to the Mother of God in front of Her icon "the Non-emptying Bowl. On Sundays to St. Sergius of Radonezh, St.Katherine the Great Martyr, or St. Nicholas the Wondeerworker.

Baptism: on weekdays at 10.30 a.m., on Sundays and holidays at 12 noon.

Each Sunday at 12 in the church house there are meetings of the Brotherhood in the name of St. Sergius of Radonezh. At 15.00 catechism conversations with those willing to accept holy baptism take place in the temple.

Mail Address: Petrozavodsk, Volnaya Str.

Tel: (8142) 772655

Temple In the name of Holy Life-giving Spirit

A winter church of the parish of the Spaso-Preobrazhensky (Savior and Transfiguration) temple on the island of Kizhi.

History. Before 1917 on this place there was a hospital chapel. It was later attached to the reserve museum Kizhi as a monument of architecture. In the 1990-s, with the blessing of bishop of Petrozavodsk and Karelia Manuil, the museum and the diocese together began its restoration

In the process of reconstruction finished in 1994, the building was expanded into a church. The temple was consecrated in the name of Descent of Holy Spirit in memory of the Holy Spirit cathedral lost in the atheistic times.

The main holies of the temple: a particle of the relics of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker, the akathist icons: of the Mother of God "Cyprian", of St. Nicholas of Myry in Likia (the Wonderworker), painted by modern Moscow icon painters; an icon of St. emperor Nickolai II the Martyr and of St. Tikhon, the Patriarch of Moscow; the iconostasis of the temple, painted by icon painters of Saint Petersburg.

The Prior of the Spaso-Preobrazhensky cathedral (being under restoration), of Pokrovskaya summer church of the Kizhi churchyard and of the Holy Spirit winter church of the Spaso-Preobrazhensky parish of the Kizhi island is priest Nicholai Ozolin.

Divine services: everyday morning service on Wednesdays at 9 a.m., everyday evening on Tuesdays at 18.00, on Sundays and on great holidays Liturgy at 10.00, with a vigil at 17.00 on the eve.

On Wednesdays at 18.00 akathist to St. Nicholas the Wonderworker.

Baptism: on Tuesdays and Saturdays (under the arrangement with the priest).

Mail address: Petrozavodsk, Fedosovoi Str., 21.

Tel: (8142) 784120

Church In the name of Meeting of the Lord (Purification of the Mother of God)

(the settlemennt of Solomennoye, a suburb of Petrozavodsk, is situated in 2 kms from the city).

History. It was erected on a rocky cape in 1781 in place of the ancient Solomenskaya hermitage abolished in 1764.

In days of old, the Petropavlovsky (Sts. Peter and Paul) monastery founded at the end of the XVIth century during the reign of king Feodor Ioanovich stood at this spot.

A church in the name of Saint apostles Peter and Paul stood not far from it, on a coast of the strait connecting the Petrozavodsk gulf of Onega with the small lake Logmozero. The church was constructed in 1775 and had two side-altars: in the name of St. Prophet Elijah and of St. Just Anna.

Both temples were built on the means of the Petersburg merchant Ilya Kononov, a native of Solomennoe. The appearance of the building changed in the process of restoration after the fire of 1913.

The church 1867 annals mention a leather belt with silk brushes, presented by czarevna (princess) Sofia Alekseevna. The tradition claims that it had been preserved in the church since the times of the hermitage.

During soviet times the temples were repeatedly closed, and the church property requisitioned. There is an inventory of the silver things belonging to Solomennoe churches in archive documents dating back to 1918.

The Meeting church of the Zaozerie village soviet (council) of Prionezhsky district was closed on August 19, 1931 and reconstructed into a school.

In 1996, after a long break, the temple in the name of Meeting of God was again returned to the parish. November 24 the same year bishop of Petrozavodsk and Karelia Manuil conducted a water concecrating service to sanctify the beginning of reparatory works, and a Christmas Divine liturgy was served here on January 7, 1997.

Since 1999 the Sretensky (Meeting) temple is on reconstruction.

The prior is priest Paul Lehmus.

Chapel In the name of sts. Foremost apostles Peter and Paul

Attributed to the Alexander Nevsky cathedral

History. The small brick chapel has been built at the drive-in to the Kukkovka community on the fork of Vytegorskoye highway and Lyzhnaya Str. According to some historical data, even before the foundation of Petrozavodsk, a Peter and Paul chapel stood here within the old settlement on Kukkova mountain.

It was erected in memory of the saint apostles Peter and Paul church, constructed in the XVIII century according to a plan of emperor Peter the Great. With the Petropavlovsky temple in 1703 began the Petrozavodsk sloboda - the future city of Petrozavodsk.

The chapel is constructed under the project of the known Karelian architect Nikolay Vladislavovich Kuspaka, who carefully restored in it the old russian style "church under peal (chime?)". 

Its construction began on November 4, 1995 with consecration of the corner-stone. Bishop of Petrozavodsk and Karelia Manuil consecrated the chapel on August 16, 1998.

The chapel is open: in the summer from 12.00 till 20.00, in the winter - from 13.00 till 19.00

Divine service: (public prayers, requiems, akathists): Tuesday 17.00, Sunday 16.00.

Each Thursday at 16.00 the akathist to saint apostles Peter and Paul is served. Archbishop of Petrozavodsk and Karelia Manuil heads the service.

The spiritual trustee - the prior of the church in the name of John the Baptists birth (the settlement of Shuya) priest Gennady Kuz'kin.

The address: Vytegorskoe shosse, 2 a.

Chapel In the name of Saint Sergy of Radonezh
(attributed to St. Katherine church)

History. It was constructed on the place where the old chapel had been burnt down, on the cemetery behind the church. While designing it, Petrozavodsk architect Vahromeev used elements and details of the chapels of Zaonezhye, which appeal by a special "warmth" of traditional wooden architecture.

It was consecrated on the day of memory of St. Sergius of Radonezh October 8, 2000.

The spiritual trustee of the chapel prior of St. Katherine temple priest Andrey Vereshchagin.

The Address: Petrozavodsk, Volnaya Str.

Tel.: (8142) 77-26-55

Chapel in the name of the Akhtyrskayaicon of the Mother of God
(at the republican hospital. Attributed to Spaso-Preobrazhensky parish of the island of Kizhi).

It was consecrated on October 25, 2000 by archbishop of Petrozavodsk and Karelia Manuil.

The main holies of the chapel: an akathist icon of the Mother of God "Akhtyrskaya", offered by a benefactor who financed the construction of the chapel, icons of St. Panteleimon the Great Martyr and St. Luka (Voino-Yasenetsky), a scientist and surgeon with a worldwide fame.

The chapel is open on Mondays from 9.30 a.m. till 16.00.

On Mondays at 12 noon an akathist in front of the icon of the Mother of God "Akhtyrskaya" is served.

The spiritual trustee prior of Spaso-Preobrazhensky parish of the island of Kizhi priest Nikolay Ozolin.

Chapel In the name of the icon of the Mother of God "The Assistant in (Birth) Labour"

At the K.A.Gutkin maternity hospital (attributed to Spaso-Preobrazhensky parish of the island of Kizhi).

The chapel was created in 1997 in the building of the oldest maternity hospital of the city built more than 60 years ago. After reorganization the chapel was consecrated by bishop Manuil of Petrozavodsk and Karelia on January 5, 2000 on the eve of the 2000th anniversary of Christs Birth.

The main holy of the chapel is the icon of the Mother of God "the Assistant in Birth Labor", painted by a graduate of St. Tikhon theological institute of Moscow. Baltic baroness Neonilla Alexandrovna Shtral'born, living in Paris, helped to get this image of the Virgin, as well as the three-meter wooden carved icon-case.

The spiritual trustee prior of Spaso-Preobrazhenskogo parish of the island of Kizhi priest Nikolay Ozolin.

Chapel In the name of saint blessed Xenia of Petersburg at the Republican perinatal centre

(attributed to the Exaltaion of the Cross cathedral).

It was arranged by employees of the Centre and on means of Petrozavodsk businessmen I.J.Anisimov and A.A.Bajdakov. It was consecrated on the day of the Lords Baptism, January 19, 2001, by archbishop of Petrozavodsk and Karelia Manuil.

The spiritual trustee priest of the Krestovozdvizhensky (Exaltation of the Cross) cathedral Konstantin Strekachev.

The address: Tolstogo street.

TEMPLES AND CHAPELS Of PETROZAVODSK UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Temple in the name of great martyr Panteleimon

Is being constructed in the largest community of the city "Drevlyanka" whith the population of 40 thousand. A chapel with a baptistery will be attached.

The parish has an orthodox library which works: on week-days from 17.00 till 20.00, on Sundays from 14.00 till 17.00, day off Friday.

The Chairman of the parish council deacon Sergy Gerasimov.

The address of the parish: Drevlyanka, 8 A, the elementary school of Lyceum 1.

Chapel in the name of Saint Ilia Muromets

Is under construction in the district frontier hospital of Petrozavodsk. On February 23, 2001 a cross was erected on the site of the future chapel. The spiritual trustee of the military hospital Leonid Leontjuk, a priest of the Alexandr Nevsky cathedral, consecrated the cross.

The prospective size of the chapel four per six meters. In our republic it will be the first orthodox chapel erected on the territory of a military unit.

DEAR BROTHERS AND SISTERS!

Now, when moral guiding lines are lost, when robberies, murders, terrorism and violence became distinctive features of our time, it is necessary to restore the spiritual potential of people. True revival of Russia is in the revival of spirituality and morality of people. Only when Divine rules "do not murder", "do not steal", and others will be fixed in public consciousness, it will be possible to speak about an economic revival of our country. No material benefits: money, magnificent private residences, abundance in our refrigerators - will make our life really quiet, joyful and safe. Satisfied flesh is not happiness yet. The happiness is when people, living according to the commandments of God and being afraid of a sin, do not think of harm, of evil...

Only in Church spirituality, which is the future and the present happiness of each of us, arises and is truly brought up.

Those enterprise structures,

which allocate means for construction of temples, restoration of the monasteries which are a stronghold of spiritual and moral forces of the society, for publishing activities of Church, are truly engaged in the present revival of Russia, and take the first step to rescuing their own soul.

Charity is a sacred business!

Especially if you benefit to the glory of God.

ABOUT THE SACRAMENTS AND RITES OF ORTHODOX CHURCH

All the Petrozavodsk temples perform when required:

- the Sacrament of Baptism. The modern order includes two sacraments actual Baptism and Chrismation (not to confuse with anointing with blessed oil, which is made during every vigil), and rites: giving a Christian name, announcement, small consecration of water, leading into the church. Baptism is performed, as a rule, after the Liturgy.

- the Sacrament of Marriage. The order includes the rite of betrothal and wedding itself. The day and time of wedding in a temple are necessary to coordinate beforehand. The sacrament of marriage is not performed during fasting times: Veliky (Lent), Uspensky (before Assumption), Rozhdestvensky (Christmas) and Petrov (before Peter and Pauls day); weekly on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays all year round, and also on the cheese week (one week prior to the beginning of Lent), on Easter week (week after the day of Sacred Easter), on Svyatki (from the 7th till the 20th of January), on the eve of the feasts: Exaltation of the Lords Cross and Beheading of St. John Baptist, and on the eve of of the temples throne feasts .

- Communicating and confession in-home of severely ill and dying people are performed under the arrangement with clerics.

- the Sacrament of Extreme Unction for ill and dying people is performed under the arrangement with clerics. A few times during a year, by tradition, during fasts, it is performed in all the temples for everybody willing.

- Burial service. The church parting of a christian who is proceeding to the other world is customarily performed on the third day after death. The coffin with the body of the deceased shall be brought to the temple in the evening, and next day after the Liturgy the burial service is performed.

In parochial temples the following ordered divine services are performed:

- Sorokoust (literally fortymouth) commemorating by name for health or rest of a soul during Liturgy within 40 days. Sorokoust is performed, as a rule, in temples where Liturgy is served daily. When a christian dies, sorokoust for the repose of his or her soul is always ordered.

- Requiem is a remembrance service. It is served after the Liturgy or before vespers. In temples on cemeteries requiems are served on the graves of the deceased. Requiems join the prescribed services on Parental Saturdays.

- Public prayers (Moleben). Brief prayful singing to the Lord Jesus Christ, to the Mother of God, to Gods saints about health, at the beginning of any significant affair, as an expression of gratitude for blessings and in other cases. If the small consecration of water is performed, the prayers are called water consecrating, vodosvyatny. During such vodosvyatny molebens, icons and personal (on-the-body) crosses may be consecrated at the request of parishioners.

- Consecration of a house, apartment, establishment is performed under an arrangement with a cleric.

In temples with daily divine services, sacraments and occasional rites are performed daily. The exact time should be specified at the candle box.

HOME - ENGLISH

HOME - RUSSIAN